Okay, so maybe we’re biased – but honestly who wouldn’t want to be living out their best years in a beautiful senior community only a few blocks from the ocean?! There’s something relaxing and calming about the water, and that’s true all year around. Not to mention, the many activities you can take part in by the boardwalk and ocean. If you’re originally from Jersey you know there is always something going on “down the shore.”
With that being said, here’s a bit of info about where UMC at The Shores is located, our beautiful natural surroundings, and just a few of the many beaches, boardwalk, and water-related activities our team at The Shores organizes for our senior living residents.
UMC at The Shores is an assisted living community offering specialized memory care, along with many additional senior care services, in southern New Jersey. We’re fortunate enough to be in a prime location opposite the Ocean City Golf Course, overlooking the residential marinas and out to the ocean towards Shooting Island. Ocean City is well-known as “America’s Greatest Family Resort”, but it has wonderful amenities for all ages!
- Beaches – The star of the show is of course, our 8 miles of pristine beaches. Whether you want to walk along the beach or simply sit and enjoy the sound of the waves, it’s a wonderful privilege to have right on your doorstep.
- Boardwalk – With over 2 miles of well-maintained boardwalk, there’s no excuse not to get your daily exercise! Explore the quaint shops, rest with a morning coffee at one of the many cafes, catch up with the locals, or enjoy a quick meal overlooking the ocean.
- Corson’s Inlet State Park – With a wheelchair-accessible entrance, anyone can enjoy the wild and natural beauty of New Jersey at this well-maintained state park. It makes for a wonderful outing for seniors and families where you can watch migratory birds and wildlife species, sunbathe, enjoy fishing (with a license!), and even go boating if you’re feeling adventurous!
- Shopping – From interesting little shops on the boardwalk and in Downtown Ocean City to Stainton’s mall, you can shop to your heart’s content! Lovely for browsing as well as buying, you’ll find everything you need for your home, gifts, everyday life, and treats within easy distance from our senior living community.
- Museums and galleries – From local art galleries to the Ocean City Arts Centre, there’s plenty of ways to indulge in your creative side. The OCAC also offers community art programs that are open to all ages, as well as hosting regular visual and performing arts events. For the inner historian, learn about the fascinating heritage of the area in the Ocean City Historical Museum, explore the Ripley’s Believe It or Not exhibit on the boardwalk, the Historia Gardner’s Basin, the African American Heritage Museum, or the Edicott Reardon Family Museum.
Ocean City offers so much for all ages to enjoy, making it the perfect retirement location and a stimulating, enjoyable environment for seniors and their families to explore.
Stimulating for body and mind – Memory care in Cape May County
The Shores offers an ideal retirement home and community in South Jersey, and our programs include specialized services for seniors with dementia and Alzheimer’s conditions. Our memory care team is dedicated to ensuring all residents have access to onsite and offsite activities and events that are safe, appropriate, and fun, including regular outings, social gatherings, and much more. We work to help support seniors with cognitive health issues to stay active and engaged – and our wonderful position near the ocean helps us do just that!
For more information on our memory care services in South Jersey, or to find out more about how our assisted living community works, contact us today or visit our website at: https://umcommunities.org/theshores/
This blog was originally published https://umcommunities.org/theshores/blog/retire-at-the-beach/