Refreshing Summer Salad, and it’s Probably Not What You’re Expecting
Most may think watermelons should be eaten alone, in slices, after a hot summer day. But have you tried adding them to your salad? It may sound strange, but sometimes the best experiences come from something unexpected. Trust us on this one – our residents at Lester Senior Living love our chef’s simple watermelon salad with feta and arugula. Not only is this summer salad easy to prepare, but it’s also one of the most refreshing dishes to bring to an end of summer BBQ with your family and friends.
Serves 6 | Total Time to Make: 15 minutes
- 4 cups of watermelon sliced into cubes
- 3 cups of fresh arugula
- 4 oz. of feta cheese crumbles
- Zest 1 whole lemon
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup of your favorite herb (some of our chef’s favorites are: basil, oregano, dill or fresh mint)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Grab a large bowl, ideally the same one you’d like to serve the salad in, to eliminate extra clean-up.
- Next, grab a cutting board and slice your watermelon into cubes that are about 1 inch thick, and then set them aside.
- In your large bowl, add the extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice and herbs and whisk together to create your dressing.
- Next, add your watermelon cubes into the bowl and mix together so they have a chance to really absorb the flavor of the dressing.
- Now, add the arugula and feta cheese and make sure it is mixed well with the watermelon.
- Zest the lemon on top, add salt and pepper to taste and stir all the ingredients together.
- Optional: Add whole basil leaves on top of the salad as a garnish, serve and enjoy with your company!
Senior diets at Lester Independent Living
The independent living residents at Lester have the option to eat in our spacious dining room for breakfast, lunch and dinner every single day if they’d like! The chefs at Lester understand that some residents may have dietary restrictions or kosher preferences and will gladly make any changes necessary to ensure resident satisfaction. Our independent living residents enjoy a variety of cuisines, ranging from a comfort meal like matza ball soup to a refreshing watermelon feta salad.
For more information about how we’re helping seniors to eat healthy in Morris County, NJ, please give us a call today – we’d love to have you over for lunch! You could also visit our website to learn more about what full independent lifestyles look like at Lester Senior Living: https://jchcorp.org/
The original blog is posted on: https://jchcorp.org/refreshing-summer-salad-and-its-probably-not-what-youre-expecting/