Are you and your family considering hiring an elder law attorney? Elder law attorneys handle a wide range of issues, including handling estate assets, Medicaid applications, Medicare claims and appeals, short-term and long-term care planning, wills, estate planning, and much more. None of us like to think about aging and end-of-life issues, but we recommend being prepared and having a plan to make things as easy as possible for your loved ones.
Here are the top six reasons to hire an elder law attorney:
- Attorneys who specialize in elder law often have a large network of other professionals in related fields who can offer support and assistance. The services of financial planners, psychologists, and social workers, for example, may be needed depending on the situation.
- You own many assets and have a significant amount of money. Unfortunately, family fights over assets and money are very common, and the larger your estate is the more complicated it can be if you pass away without leaving clear instructions.
- Elder law attorneys take a holistic approach to estate planning and help you plan for all aspects, including care options, financial details, Medicare, care for your dependents, and more.
- You have a large, blended family. Blended families are the norm these days, and when it comes to estate planning you need to be very clear about asset allocation.
- Elder law attorneys know all the legal techniques and tools to meet the needs of older adults. Whether you’re just getting around to planning your estate now, you need help with a Medicare application, or you want to know your long-term healthcare options, elder law attorneys are experts in these areas.
- You’re a business owner. If you own one or more businesses, an estate planning attorney can help you plan for the future of your businesses when you’re not here anymore.
Call an estate planning attorney today
If you become unable to make medical or financial decisions for yourself and don’t have an estate plan in place, there’s a chance that the allocation of your assets will be decided in probate court. If this happens, the court decides what they think is best with no consideration for your wishes, and this unfortunately causes your loved ones more emotional distress. Having a solid estate plan in place is the best way to protect yourself and your family.
Content originally published: https://www.scclegal.com/top-6-reasons-to-hire-an-elder-law-attorney/