Moving into an assisted living community is a big transition for any senior. While the move is in everyone’s best interest and will give your loved one a much better quality of life, it’s important to remember that it can become overwhelming for your family member. Knowing what to pack for the move is a good way to prepare ahead of time and keep this change a positive and enjoyable one.
Home decor and furnishings
Our assisted living apartments are designed to be as spacious, safe and easy-to-navigate as they are comfortable, but nothing will settle your loved one as quickly as their familiar home comforts. After measuring your furniture and reviewing the floor plan, you can move in the following:
- Favorite home furniture, including a comfortable sofa, chairs, coffee tables and more. Don’t forget to include chairs for guests and visitors.
- Kitchenware, including dishes, storage containers, glasses and cutlery. If you choose to utilize pre-prepared meals, then you can limit prep dishes and ovenware. Remember to include enough kitchenware for visitors and additional quantities of frequently used items, for example, coffee mugs.
- Lamps for additional lighting next to the bed or at a reading spot
- TV and or radio
- Any appliances that are not included, for example, microwave oven or kettle
- Several comfortable day-to-day outfits
- Pajamas and a robe
- Socks, slippers and shoes
- Warm winter clothing
- A couple of more special outfits for attending events and get-togethers
- Basic everyday toiletries – soap, shampoo, conditioner, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.
- Makeup (if applicable)
- A list of all prescription and over-the-counter medications
These are just as important as the practical items and will give your loved one a real feeling of being at home. They could include:
- Paintings and family photos
- Soft linens
- Decorative items
Comfortable assisted living apartments with expert support services
Assisted living is all about keeping you as independent as possible with support services to make your life easier and more enjoyable. Modern senior communities encourage residents to socialize with other residents at a level they are comfortable with. They can also easily tailor personal care services to ensure that each resident gets the daily assistance, amenities and extra support they require to live a full and happy life.
Original content published: https://jchcorp.org/what-to-pack-for-assisted-living/