Honey Apple Cake for Rosh Hashanah
L’shanah tova! It’s almost Rosh Hashanah and we hope everyone has a sweet new year. In preparation for this holiday, and to ensure this new year is sweeter than the last, we must prepare the key foods of Rosh Hashanah. Perhaps the most delicious being the honey apple cake. Eating honey was first referenced in the book of Nehemiah and eating red apples was first dated back to Rosh Hashanah in 1208. That’s a lot of honey and apples over the years! This traditional recipe provided by our chefs at the Lester assisted living community in Morris County combines both of these classic foods in the tastiest way.
Ingredients for Honey Apple Cake:
- 4 apples diced (we recommend granny smith or honeycrisp apples)
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons rum
- 6 large eggs
- 2 sticks of butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Lemon zest (approx. 1 lemon)
Honey Apple Cake Directions:
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and then grease a round 10 in. pan with butter. Next, sprinkle the pan with sugar and shake it afterwards to remove the excess.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt and spices in a bowl and set it aside.
- Next, grab a mixer bowl with wire whip attachments and mix your butter and sugar for about 2 minutes. Then, add honey, rum and lemon zest and mix again. Finally, add your eggs in, one by one, and mix just until they’re consolidated with the rest of the mixture.
- Combine the flour mixture you set aside earlier with the butter mixture until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and add in your choice apples using a spatula.
- Pour the batter into the round pan you greased earlier and sprinkle the chopped walnuts on top.
- Bake the honey apple cake for about 70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool on a rack, then cover lightly with foil and keep at room temperature until you and your company are ready to eat at Rosh Hashanah!
Delicious Food at Lester Senior Living in Morris County
At our senior living community in New Jersey, we truly understand how eating nutritious meals play a big role in being an active senior citizen. We also understand that the way our food tastes to our senior residents is just as important! Our culinary trained chefs at Lester Senior Living are proud to create delicious and nutrient-rich meals that cater to every dietary preference, from kosher to even low-calorie options.
For more information about nutritious meals for seniors in Morris County, NJ, please contact our team at Lester Senior Living today. You could also visit our website to learn more about what it’s like to live in a JCHC senior community: https://jchcorp.org/
The original blog is posted on: https://jchcorp.org/honey-apple-cake-for-rosh-hashanah/