Classic and Sweet “Tzimmes” Recipe for Passover
It’s finally spring here at Lester Senior Living! Which means we are looking forward to getting outdoors more for live entertainment, daily walks, delicious picnics and of course – Passover. Especially the foods that go along with Passover like tzimmes. Traditionally, this root veggie dish is served on Passover and Rosh Hashanah, but who says you can’t enjoy it all year round? Whether you’re making them for Passover or just to enjoy, check out our signature tzimmes recipe from our chefs at our senior lifestyle community in Morris County.
Ingredients for Tzimmes:
- 4 Sweet potatoes (peeled and cut in chunks)
- Approx 2 lbs carrots cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 package of prunes (pitted)
- 1 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup of water
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Directions for Tzimmes:
- First things first, preheat the oven to 350°.
- Next, we recommend using a baking dish that is at least 13×9 in. in size and make sure it is greased with butter or the oil of your choosing.
- Combine the sweet potatoes, carrots and plums into your baking dish.
- Add the orange juice, water, honey, brown sugar and cinnamon over top of the vegetables.
- Cover the tzimmes with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the foil and dot the tzimmes with butter.
- Leave uncovered and bake until the vegetables are tender and the sauce is thickened, approximately 45-60 minutes. Make sure you carefully stir the mixture around every 15 minutes.
- Serve the tzimmes warm alongside your favorite chicken dish and enjoy!