Fall is finally here! The leaves are changing, there is a crisp feeling in the air and it is time to indulge in all the foods classic to this season, like apples, pumpkins and butternut squash. If you’re planning to share a meal under the Sukkah, butternut squash soup is the perfect, fall comfort food. Especially if it is a chilly autumn day. This butternut squash soup is a favorite of our chefs and residents at JCHC’s Lester Senior Living. We highly recommend making extra because this soup can easily be reheated, and will be just as delicious to have again later in the week!
Butternut Squash Soup Ingredients:
- 1 Large butternut squash
- 1 Yellow onion
- Garlic (measure with your heart)
- Broth of your choosing (we recommend vegetable or chicken)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Spices: sage, rosemary, ginger, salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Parsley for garnish
How to Make Fall Butternut Squash Soup:
- Chop your butternut squash into bite-sized cubes, along with your onion and garlic (Chop your onion and garlic smaller so they almost appear minced).
- Grab a pan, pour a little extra virgin olive oil on the bottom and saute your onion and garlic until translucent and fragrant.
- Add the squash to your onion and garlic mixture and cook until the squash begins to soften.
- Then, mix in the spices: sage, rosemary ginger, salt and pepper.
- Next, add in the broth of your choice and let it simmer until the squash becomes tender (about 20 minutes give or take).
- After the squash is tender, transfer the soup to a blender and blend until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Finally, pour it into soup bowls, garnish with a little fresh parsley and serve to your guests under the Sukkah!
Seniors Dining at Lester Senior Living, NJ
Fall is one of our favorite seasons here at Lester because we get to enjoy seasonal comfort meals like butternut squash soup, honey apple cake and freshly baked challah. The culinary trained chefs at Lester Senior Living look forward to trying out even more new fall recipes for our assisted living and independent living residents. They always cook with fresh, in-season ingredients and provide many different options to satisfy different tastes, dietary preferences and even kosher needs.
For more information about assisted living seniors dining in Morris County, NJ, please contact us today or visit our website at: https://jchcorp.org/
The original blog is posted at: https://jchcorp.org/butternut-squash-perfect-soup-for-fall/