Did you ever take the time to bake your own bagels at home? It may not be the quickest recipe, but it can be a great bonding experience to have with your kids and senior parents. Not to mention, there’s a good chance you already have all the ingredients already at home! The only two ingredients or supplies that you may not have on hand are a Dutch oven and active dry yeast. Luckily, yeast can be purchased at your local supermarket and a good-quality Dutch oven can be purchased pretty inexpensively from Amazon. So, what are you waiting for? Bake some bagels, fill them with lox and you’re ready to roll! Get it? Bagels… rolls…
Without further ado, here is the JCHC’s signature bagel recipe.
Ingredients for Bagels:
- Active dry yeast (1 teaspoon)
- Egg yolk (1)
- Warm milk (1¼ cups)
- Softened butter (½ cup)
- All purpose flour (3 ¾ – 4 ¼ cups)
- Sugar (2 tablespoons)
- Salt (1 teaspoon)
- Olive oil for greasing
- Everything bagel seasoning (optional)
Directions for Baking Bagels:
- First, get a large bowl and dissolve the active dry yeast with the warm milk. The temperature of the milk should be approximately 110 degrees.
- Next, add the egg yolk, butter, sugar and salt to the bowl and mix well.
- Stir in flour until a soft dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a floured counter top until it starts to feel “elastic.” This will usually take 6-8 minutes.
- Once you’re done kneading, grease a bowl with olive oil and place the dough in it. Then cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place for about an 1 hour or until the dough doubles in size.
- Flatten or “punch” dough down and then shape into 12 balls. Push your finger through the middle of each ball to create a 1 ½ in. hole. Then, stretch and shape the dough into an even ring. After you’re done shaping all 12, cover them on your floured counter top and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Grab your Dutch oven and fill it with water. The oven should be about ? filled with water and then bring it to a boil. Once boiling, drop bagels in 2 at a time. Cook for about 45 seconds on each side and then remove with a slotted spoon.
- Drain bagels well on paper towels and then sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning.
- Place each bagel 2 in. apart from one another on a greased baking pan and bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove bagels from the pan, let them cool on a wire rack and then enjoy!
Culinary trained chefs at Lester Senior Living in NJ
The chefs at Lester Senior Living are always whipping up something new. Whether it’s a crowd favorite like bagels or a seasonal Jewish dish, our cooks are happy to serve our residents day in and day out. For more information about senior dining options in Morris County, NJ, please contact us today: (973) 240-5015.
You could also visit our website to learn more about what senior community life is really like in Morris County, NJ: https://jchcorp.org/assisted-living-morris-county-nj/
This blog was originally published at https://jchcorp.org/bagel-recipe/